Nursing Home Abuse: Protecting Your Loved Ones
When an elderly loved one needs extra care and medical attention, many family members turn to nursing homes. However, it seems that nursing homes are getting more attention as of late with cases of neglect and abuse. In a study done by the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Heath and Human Services, 11 percent of patients were caused temporary harm, while 22 percent of patients were caused lasting harm. 1.5 percent died due to poor care.1
No one wants to hear that their loved ones are being neglected or abused in any way. But, there are ways in which you can tell if your loved one is suffering:
- Emotional changes: Are they actively participating in normal activities? Are they sleeping poorly? Have they lost weight?
- Physical damage: Do they have unusual bruises or ulcers?
- High turnover: When staff are hard to keep, patients are likely being neglected, as the staff doesn’t know your loved ones well.
- Evasive answers: If staff members are dismissing your questions or not seeking out answers, even if they may not have them, you should be concerned.
- Poor leadership: When the top of the organization is not doing well or is obviously uncaring and never present, it is likely that this attitude trickles down throughout the staff.
There are many articles that report on statistics and findings in nursing home care. Here is an ABC News article with further information on nursing home findings.
What to Do When You Suspect Nursing Home Negligence
If you suspect neglect, make sure to contact a lawyer at Buzzell, Welsh &Welsh immediately. We are experts in nursing home negligence and want to ensure that your loved ones are properly taken care of and that you are all well represented.
Contact Us Today
Founded in 1998, the law office of Buzzell, Welsh & Hill is an AV rated personal injury law firm with over 90 years of combined experience. Based in Macon, Georgia, our attorneys are active in the Middle Georgia law community, serving as past presidents of the Macon Bar Association and active members of the local and state Bar and Trial Lawyers Associations. Our firm focuses on quality representation through individualized support. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (478) 217-2072 or complete our contact form.