Macon Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Even though motorcycles travel the roads less often than cars do, motorcycles are 30 times more likely to get into an accident. Motorcycle accidents can be frightening and stressful but it’s important to remain as calm as possible after an accident.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
Remain calm and complete the following steps:
- Get of the way of traffic as quickly and carefully as possible.
- Stay on the scene until told to leave by a member of law enforcement.
- Call the police and file an official accident report.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved.
- Identify witnesses and collect as much of their information as possible.
- Take photos of all of the vehicles involved and the surrounding area.
- Notify your insurance company
- Seek medical attention
- Take notes and write down as much information as possible. Notes like road condition, how you remember the accident happening, etc. is great information to write down so that you don’t have to wrack your brain for it later. Your phone is a great tool for this.
- For the adjuster, you’ll need to keep records of all accident related expenses.
- Call an experienced Macon motorcycle accident attorney.
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
To drive a motorcycle in Georgia, you must have two types of auto insurance.
- Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per crash
- Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per crash
Because motorcycle injuries tend to be more severe, the insurance above is usually not enough to cover everything. It is highly recommended that motorcyclists also get Uninsured Motorist Coverage. Uninsured Motorist Coverage is a type of insurance that covers you when you are hit by a driver or cyclist that does not have insurance. This extra coverage helps insure that everything can be paid for if an accident were to occur.
If you are underinsured, you can also get MedPay. MedPay only covers the insured person (you), and it does not cover anyone else injured in the accident. However, MedPay can assist with out-of-pocket medical expenses such as:
- Dental Care
- Funeral Costs
- Health Insurance Deductibles.
- Home Nurse Care
- Prescription Drugs
- Psychiatric Visits
Depending on the amount of coverage you want, MedPay coverage ranges from $1,000-$50,000 in Georgia.
Motorcycle Injury Claims
In the state of Georgia, you only have two years to file a report against an at-fault driver. If you are seeking loss of consortium (claim for damages suffered by a family member or loved one who was either killed or injured because of negligence), you have up to four years to file.
Motorcycle injury claims can be tricky and there are several different types of compensation that you can receive.
- Medical expenses- This covers a wide variety of health expenses. This can include physical therapy, ambulance fees, bills from the emergency room, surgery expenses, doctors visits, prescription bills and much more. Keep track of every medical appointment, visit and expense.
- Pain and suffering- Pain and suffering covers anything that reduces the quality of your life. Motorcycle accidents are traumatic and can induce physical and emotional distress. Victims can also suffer from pain, loss of the ability to enjoy life, permanent disfigurement, etc.
- Loss of Affection or Companionship- This applies to the injured person’s spouse. The spouse can claim this if the injured spouse is no longer able to perform their duties in the relationship and other out of pocket expenses that occur because of the injuries.
- Lost wages- It takes time to recover from a motorcycle accident, which may lead you to using your accumulated sick leave or taking even more time off work in order to heal.
Contact Our Proven Macon Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
We understand that the previous lists can feel overwhelming. It is okay if you do not have everything, but it is always better to collect as much information as possible. Information from the accident will help make your personal injury case even stronger. The attorneys at Buzzell, Welsh & Hill are here to help you have the strongest case possible and to win you the compensation that you deserve. Call today for your free consultation.