Yearly Accident Statistics
Getting the help you need after a car accident
Car wrecks are frightening, stressful, and—with more than 7 million occurring each year—extremely common. After a car wreck, it’s easy to give in to shock, but there are a few things you’ll want to take care of immediately that will help your case should you eventually file an auto accident claim:
- Call the police and be sure the officer creates an auto accident report. This will serve as the official version of the accident and will help determine which driver was at fault.
- Take photos of the scene and collect information from witnesses and the other drivers involved.
- Seek medical attention. Even if the accident doesn’t seem serious, it’s important to get a doctor’s opinion. Sometimes your injuries are more severe than you might think.
- Contact a Macon car accident lawyer before contacting your insurance company or speaking to the other driver’s insurance company.
If you’re not feeling well enough at the accident scene to collect this information yourself, try to call a trusted friend or family member who can help you get the details you’ll need later.
Causes of car accidents
While accidents are occasionally truly accidental, negligence, or not using “reasonable care,” is the most common cause of car wrecks. Negligence happens when drivers ignore traffic signs, violate speed limits or drive while distracted or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Liability varies with each accident and many factors go into deciding who is ultimately at fault.
Hit and run Georgia
Unfortunately, drivers will sometimes leave the scene after a crash, often due to fear, a lack of proper insurance coverage or because they were driving under the influence. After a hit and run in Georgia, you do, however, have the ability to receive compensation. Even if the police cannot locate the other driver, you should be able to file a claim with your own insurance company if you carry uninsured motorist coverage.
While every accident is different, if you’ve been the victim of another driver’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your medical bills, the damage to your vehicle and the time and money you’ve lost dealing with the accident.
The Macon car accident lawyers at Buzzell, Welsh & Hill can help navigate your claim, helping you get a fair settlement. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your options and figure out a unique approach to your individual case.
Seeking possible damages
After an accident, you may wonder what kind of damages you can recoup beyond the value of your vehicle repairs and medical bills. There’s a wide range of damages a Macon car accident lawyer can pursue for clients:
- Medical expenses: Even a minor car accident can result in expensive injuries. Medical expenses can include immediate needs, like ambulance fees, emergency room bills and surgery costs, as well as longer-term care, like specialists’ visits, physical therapy co-pays and medication costs.
- Pain and suffering: This can be physical or emotional distress resulting from the accident. It can also cover things like physical disability, pain, the loss of your ability to enjoy life or permanent disfigurement.
- Lost wages: Depending on the accident, you could miss time from work while you recover and get the medical attention you need. You can receive damages to cover your lost pay, the value of your accumulated sick leave, or, in the case of major disability, your ability to earn an income in the future.
- Loss of affection or companionship: If someone has been injured in a car wreck, his or her spouse can make this claim if the injured person is unable to fill his or her role as a partner and spouse.
Why do I need a Macon personal injury lawyer?
With the doctor’s appointments, visits to the mechanic and lost work, it can sometimes feel like hiring a personal injury attorney is just one more thing to do after a car wreck. Unfortunately, it’s rare you’ll get a fair settlement offer from the at-fault driver’s insurance company after an accident with injuries.
We understand the complications of the system, the tactics of the insurance companies and the true value of the expenses you’ll incur. And, if you’re still doubtful and are considering representing yourself, remember that the insurance company will certainly have its own legal representation, so you should, too.
What should I bring to my consultation?
Contacting the Macon car accident attorneys at Buzzell, Welsh & Hill after your accident is the best way to get you on track for reaching a fair and speedy resolution to your claim.
As your personal injury lawyer, it’s our job to help you gather the correct documents for your case. The faster we get the items together, the quicker we can get you back to living your life. Here’s what you’ll want to bring to your consultation:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Medical insurance information
- Photographs of the damages to the vehicles involved
- Photographs of any visible physical injuries by any party in the accident
- Any medical bills received as a result of injuries or vehicle repair costs
- Any correspondence between you and the other involved parties
- Proof of lost wages
- Rental car charges
- Car insurance information and the “declarations page” of your auto insurance policy (your insurance agent can easily provide you a copy)
While we understand that not every client will have all of the information above, bring as much of it as you can. It will help us get your case off to a good start, allowing you to get back to focusing on other aspects of life.
The Buzzell, Welsh & Hill difference
The attorneys at Buzzell, Welsh & Hill are experts at understanding car accident claims. We’ve seen every type of accident and we know every strategy of the insurance companies. We want to make this process as seamless and stress-free as possible in order to help you get back to doing the things you love. Give our office a call today for your free consultation.