Holiday Hazards To Avoid
The holidays are usually the time to celebrate with your loved ones and enjoy good company and great food at holiday parties. While the holidays can be joyous occasions, there are many holiday hazards that could affect you and your loved ones’ holiday, including personal injuries.
Our team of Macon personal injury lawyers created a short list of tips on how to avoid injuries in and around your home during the holiday season.
Holiday Hazard Tip: Avoid Fires & Burns
- Candles can easily lead to a burn injury. A smart approach to reducing the risk of burns and house fires is to substitute wax candles with battery-powered flameless candles. If you do decide to light real wax candles, stay in the room where they are lit.
- Prevent having your clothes catch fire while cooking by wearing fitted clothing and keeping hot foods and liquids away from the edge of the countertop. Children and pets tend to unknowingly knock over these items, which may lead to an injury. Additionally, lower the risk of burn injuries and fire by never leaving a hot stove or oven unattended.
- Be prepared. Check that your smoke detector is functioning and keep a fire extinguisher nearby so that you can quickly and safely put out any fire.
Holiday Hazard Tip: Avoid Trips & Falls
- During gift exchanges, have a garbage bag nearby to gather all of the wrapping paper, bags and packaging to prevent trips and falls.
- Holiday decorations with electrical cords and strings of lights may lead to trips and falls. Use reliable power strips and twist ties to keep Christmas lights and other electrical cords organized. Avoid trips and falls around the home by running wires and cords behind furniture or along the walls and tacking them down.
- Secure rugs inside and outside your home by adding adhesive strips to keep them grounded to the floor.
We want to hear from you: Email or tweet us if you have additional Holiday Hazard tips or safety stories to share.
If You Are Hurt This Holiday Season…
If you or a loved one gets seriously injured during the holiday, whether it’s a slip and fall at the local mall or burn injury while cooking at a holiday gathering, the Macon personal injury law attorneys of Buzzell, Welsh & Hill can help. We will review your case, and answer your questions about your legal rights. Our team of attorneys has over 90 years combined experience in personal injury. We charge no fees until you collect. Understand all your options, and don’t settle for less. Keep in mind, if a person slips, trips, or falls as a result of a dangerous or hazardous condition- the property owner may be responsible for your injuries. Additionally, if you sustain serious burns, a product manufacturer or premises owner may be responsible to cover your harms and losses.
Stay safe this holiday season. To schedule a free consultation today, please call us at (478) 217-2072 or complete our Contact Form.