Five Important Things To Do After a Car Accident
It has been reported that the average driver in the United States will be in three car accidents in their lifetime. Without a doubt, getting into an auto accident can be stressful on your wallet, body, and life. If you’re in a situation where the car accident wasn’t your fault, you have the right to make a claim for compensatory damages. Keep in mind, it takes time to litigate a car accident case in Georgia. Therefore, from the moment you are involved in an accident, take the necessary steps to document everything and keep your case on the right track.
Here are five essential “must-do’s” to keep you aligned and help your case.
Five “Must-Do’s” After a Car Accident
- If you are physically able, take photos of both vehicles at the scene of the accident before anything else happens. If you are physically unable, ask a passenger or the responding police officer to take photographs for you.
- Get the names of ALL witnesses at the scene of the wreck. Get names, addresses, and phone numbers. DO NOT rely on the investigating officer to do this for you.
- Document all of your injuries related to the accident. See a doctor immediately if you are in pain. If you do not have a personal doctor, ask your friends or family members for the name of a reputable doctor in your area. The doctor will document your injuries in his/her medical notes, which the insurance company will later use to evaluate your injury claim. Keep a personal journal detailing the areas of your body where you are experiencing the pain, how long the pain lasts, and any daily activities you can’t participate in due to your injuries.
- Do not talk or otherwise communicate with the other driver’s insurance company until you have a chance to speak with an attorney.
- Do not sign any papers the other insurance company sends you. Remember, they do not have your best interests in mind.
Before you consult with the insurance company, immediately contact an experienced attorney who specializes in car accidents and personal injury. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you have an experienced team of attorneys on your side and a higher probability winning of your case (Refer to this article on hiring the right attorney).
Speak To Our Macon Car Accident Attorneys Today
If you’re the victim of a car wreck, the attorneys at Buzzell, Welsh & Hill can assist you in receiving the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys are experts at handling auto accident cases and will pursue all types of compensation including payment of your medical bills, compensation for your pain and suffering due to injury, payment of lost wages, and possible punitive damages. Schedule a consultation today by calling us at (478) 217-2072 or click here to complete a contact form.