Accidents Spike During Holiday Travel
When traveling for the holidays, it’s good to be prepared. Accidents are common during the holiday season, especially at Christmas time. In 2013, it was estimated that there would be 105 fatalities and 11,200 severe traffic accident injuries during Christmas travel. Thanksgiving Day was even higher, estimated at 436 fatalities1. With these statistics in mind, it’s important to know how to keep yourself and your family safe.
Tips for Safe Holiday Travels
We’ve put together a list of things that will help you stay safe while you’re out on the road to grandma’s for the holidays:
- Vehicle Maintenance: Have you had your car inspected for the long drive? Are your tires properly rotated, your oil recently changed and your coolant level maintained?
- Travel in Groups: It may sound silly, but traveling with multiple vehicles means more help if something is to happen.
- Quick Assistance: Have the numbers of roadside assistance and emergency contacts handy. You never know when you might need them!
- Keep it Close: Have your cellphone handy and fully charged at all times; that includes having a car charger with you.
- Stay Slow: With the holiday season can come some adverse weather conditions and bad traffic. Make sure you drive carefully and watch the drivers and conditions around you.
- Have an Emergency Kit: You should keep one of these in your trunk packed with items like blankets, flashlights, washer fluid, a shovel and some emergency medical supplies.
- Wear Your Seatbelt: It was estimated that 158 deaths would be prevented on Thanksgiving simply by using a seatbelt1. They can save lives, so make sure you wear yours!
How Buzzell, Welsh & Hill Can Help You
Founded in 1998, the law office of Buzzell, Welsh & Hill is an AV rated personal injury law firm with over 90 years of combined experience. Based in Macon, Georgia, our attorneys are active in the Middle Georgia law community, serving as past presidents of the Macon Bar Association and active members of the local and state Bar and Trial Lawyers Associations. Our firm focuses on quality representation through individualized support. If you’ve been injured in a holiday crash, visit us at www.bwhlegal.com so we can help you. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (478) 217-2072 or click here to complete our contact form.